Now for a truly large project... I found my stock rear trailing arms were bent beyond repair and making for a rough ride, bad noises, and badly worn tires.
Since everything in the rear was going to be removed for the project, I decided to also do a disc brake conversion, new bearings, seals, poly bushings, and new shocks all at the same time.
Here are the original trailing arms, old shocks and drum brakes (BEFORE replacing):
I chose really nice (extra beefy) aftermarket trailing arms but decided to stick with stock width and go 1" longer than original. The disc brake conversion widens each side by 1" and both of these upgrades allow me to use my current axles and keep the rear width within reason for the more narrow trail riding (+1 inch wider and longer on each side overall).
Here are the new trailing arms while in process of being painted:
Here are all the parts that I purchased for this project:
- Latest Rage Rear Trailing Arms Stock Width x 1 Inch Longer (PAIR)
- Fox Shox Racing Shocks 980-02-032 FOX 2.0 Series Emulsion with Remote Reservoir
- Urethane IRS Pivot Bushings Kit VW
- VW Wide Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit w/o E-Brake, 5/205, IRS 68-72, S/Axle 1968
- Empi IRS Inner Wheel Bearing, Dune Buggy, Baja Bug, Sand Rail
- Empi IRS Outer Wheel Bearing, Dune Buggy, Baja Bug, Sand Rail
- IRS Rear Wheel / Axle Seal, Dune Buggy, Baja Bug, Sand Rail
- Empi Residual Pressure Valve 2 PSI for Rear Disc Brake Conversion
- Empi Chrome Lug Nuts and Studs - 12mm x 5 for Dune Buggy, VW, Baja Bug
This project included the following tasks:
- Removed old shocks, wheels, drums, etc.
- Removed old trailing arms and axles
- Welded tabs to hold brake lines on the new trailing arms
- Welded heavy duty shock mounts on the new trailing arms
- Welded custom caliper mounts on the new trailing arms
- Installed new poly bushings on the new trailing arms
- Installed new bearings and seals all around
- Installed new disc brakes and calipers
- Installed new trailing arms with existing axles
- Installed and connected new brake lines
- Installed new Fox Shocks
- Mounted remote reservior on the frame tubing
- Installed residual pressure valve on new rear disc brake line
- Bled brakes completely