The rust everywhere and old flaking paint finally got to me and I decided it was time to start painting everything the hard way, with sandpaper and a brush.
I really didn't want to take everything off the chassis because this is literally my "daily driver" so I decided to sand and paint a small portion at a time, masking as I go. I knew this would mean that painting would be a long, drawn out process, but at least I can do it as I have time. Note that I love the dual-angle sanding blocks because they can get into tight spots. I always order at least 6 sanding blocks at a time so I have multiple spares.
Here is the paint and sanding blocks that I purchased for this project:
This project included the following tasks:
- Remove flaking paint and heavily sand all surfaces to be painted
- Clean sanded areas very well with acetone to prepare for paint
- Mask areas that I didn't want to get paint on using masking tape and plastic sheeting
- Paint using brushes of various sizes depending on the area being painted
This image above shows the newly painted front beam after removing all flaking paint and then sanding heavily.