We finally got our new buggy on the road and our first major ride was over 5 hours total. Unfortunately, we realized very quickly that we needed better seats.
That 5+ hours was spent sitting in the worst seats ever (fiberglass with nearly no padding) and because of the stiff front suspension, it was just a brutal ride. Therefore, the very first thing I decided to take on was to purchase and install more comfortable aftermarket seats and 4-point harnesses.
I was on a very limited budget and decided to purchase these cheap aftermarket seats and a decent pair of 4-point harnesses:
This project included the following tasks:
- Completely remove existing seats and seat rails
- Weld in new seat rails (further back for more leg room)
- Remove cross-bar that ran behind the original seats and move it back about 6 inches
- Weld new tabs to the newly relocated cross-bar to mount 4-point harnesses
- Weld new tabs to the left and right of each seat to mount 4-point harnesses
- Install new seats and 4-point harnesses